Your ultimate guide to the list of best Small World expansions. The game was released in 2009 and has since launched 7 different expansions altering all different aspects of the game, from new characters to new rules and boundaries. In case you are unaware, Small World is one of the most popular area control board games out there. The world is frankly too small and there are tons of factions vying for their piece of the map. This is our comprehensive guide to the best Small World Expansions.
Visit the Small World Page for all other information.
LARGE EXPANSIONS (7 TOTAL)
#07 | Expansion 1: Tales and Legends (2010)
Tales and Legends takes the bottom spot on the list of the best Small World expansions because it just happens to fall short of the others. It was the first one out of the gate, so clearly creating expansions is something that needed to age over time. It is still a very cool hook. The wise veterans of the game now have a chance to re-write history. At the start of each turn new event cards are drawn and dictate gameplay.
- 54 large format Event cards
- 1 Current Event & 1 Upcoming Event card
- 1 Game Rules & 1 Variants card
- 2 Blank cards to write your own Tales!
#06 | Expansion 7: Sky Islands (2017)
Sky Islands s in a spot closer to the bottom of the list of the best Small World expansions not because it is not good, but because everything else is just so good. There are many more versions to go and you are already in good shape. The set introduces seven new races and powers to the Small World base game, but it also gives those races — and all the previously released races — new territory in which to fight for control.
- 1 double-sided board (2 or 3 Sky Islands)
- 7 Fantasy Race banners
- 7 Unique Special Power badges
- 94 Matching Race tokens
- 24 various tokens
- 1 Rules Booklet / Helper
#05 | Expansion 6: River World (2016)
Realms lands in the middle of the list of the best Small World expansions because it is a solid addition, but shouldn’t be your first choice above the other options. Players discover new maps full of water regions haunted by merciless pirates. Everyone will need to defend their precious harbors against them, fight them on the river, and still keep an eye on their opponents.
- 4 Maps of River World
- 11 Event Markers
- 1 Caravel
- 12 Pirate Ships
#04 | Expansion 2: Realms (2012)
Realms lands in the middle of the list of the best Small World expansions because it does have some unbelievable diamonds in the rough. This set includes scores of puzzle-like geomorphic Terrain regions that are assembled into variously sized and shaped board maps. Map designs are based on any of the 12 preset Scenarios created by the game’s designer, Philippe Keyaerts.
- 48 Geomorphic Two-sided Terrain Tiles:
- 26 Geomorphic Hex-shaped Terrain tiles featuring 3 Regions each
- 12 Mountain tiles
- 6 Chasms
- 4 Peaks
- 12 Tunnels
- 10 Victory Coin Mines
- 8 Miscellaneous Tokens (Rusted Throne, etc.)
- 6 River Border Markers
- 1 Game Turn Track
- 1 Rules booklet with 12 Scenarios
#03 | Expansion 5: Power Pack #2 (2017)
Power Pack #2 lands here of the list of the best Small World expansions in this spot because it is a great mix of elements that will certainly kick any match up a notch. The game is all about new races from different places. Will you choose the poor Cursed Fauns or the mighty Aquatic Priestesses for your next conquests?
- 8 Race banners (Fauns, Goblins, Gypsies, Igors, Kobolds, Priestesses, Shrubmen & White Ladies)
- 10 Special Power badges (Aquatic, Behemoth, Cursed, Fireball, Historian, Hordes of, Marauding, Peace Loving, Ransacking & Were-)
- 42 various tokens
- 98 Race tokens
#02 | Expansion 4: Power Pack #1 (2017)
Power Pack #1 makes the list of the best Small World expansions in this spot because of all the amazing goodies that are found inside. Similar to the other pack, this is about bringing in cool brand new races. This is what drives the game so it makes sense it plays see a key role in the ranking. Will you choose the fearless Lava Barbarians or the glorious Catapult Ice Witches for your next conquest?
- 8 Race banners (Barbarians, Homunculi, Pixies, Ice Witches, Leprechauns, Pygmies, Skags & Slingmen)
- 8 Special Power badges (Barricade, Catapult, Copycat, Corrupt, Imperial, Lava, Mercenary & Soul-Touch)
- 42 various tokens
- 98 Race tokens
#01 | Expansion 3: Six Player Board (2013)
The 6 Player Board Game addition takes the top spot on the list of the best Small World expansions because being able to go from 5 to 6 players in a satisfying way is too good to pass up. This is designed for use with exactly six players, with players competing in three teams of two players. It is a two-sided board where it is the same thing but for the 2 different versions of the game.
- A 2-sided, 6-player board map featuring Small World on one side, Small World Underground on the other side
- New rules, places and a relic, all specially designed for team play
- Additional tokens and markers for 6 players (1 Mountain, 2 Black Mountains, 1 Vengeance marker, 3 Lost Tribes)
- Additional Victory coins for 6 players